Why Do We Need Sunglasses?
Everyone wants the benefits of soaking up and enjoying the sun this summer. While looking cool and at the same time protecting your eyesight, this is definitely the perfect time to use protective sunglasses.
Here are some of the reasons for selecting protective sunglasses:
1. Sunglasses protect your eyes against (UV) radiation and visible light. This is because UV rays carry more energy than visible light rays and your eyes have a greater risk of becoming damaged. The effects of UV Rays happen over a long period of time and CANNOT be reversed!
2. Love boating and outdoor winter sports? The reflection from both water and snow contain blue light which is visible light in the blue portion of the spectrum. It is believed that routine exposure to blue light over time may age the retina and increase the risk of blindness in some people over the age of sixty.
3. Limiting your time in direct sunlight in the spring and summertime is always a good idea. Sitting or playing in shaded areas between 11:00 am and 4:00 pm is recommended for protection for both your eyes and skin. Burning is visible when your skin is overexposed to sunlight, but damage to your eyes is not visible.
4. Some evidence supports that daily exposure to bright sunlight over many years contributes to the development of cataracts.
5. Wearing sunglasses while driving reduces glare, improves contrast and increases everyone’s safety while traveling on the roads.
6. Children as well as adults should be encouraged to wear sunglasses and educate themselves as to why it is so important for them to do so.
With summer upon us, NOW is the perfect time to make your eye exam appointment.
We accept all insurance.
Flexible hours weekdays and weekends to suit everyone!
Trillium Eye Care Mississauga Erin Mills Town Centre, 5100 Erin Mills Pkwy, Mississauga, Ontario L5M 4Z5 Tel: 905.607.8533